Wednesday, August 24, 2011

IMDB TOP 250: Breakdown by Decade

A couple of weeks ago I had a post that used data from the IMDB Top 250 to determine what the best years ever for movies were.  In addition to that breakdown, I also tried to figure out what the best decades ever for movies were, and you can see my findings below, with more details after the jump:


Similar to what I saw in the breakdown by year, more recent decades dominate the list.  I theorized this was because IMDB bases its Top 250 on user votes, and younger people are the ones taking the time to actually make these votes, and younger people are watching and voting on more recent movies.  So the list isn't perfect, but still pretty fun to analyze.

The 2000's (which I think people call the 'naughts'???) had a ton of good movies, so I'm not surprised to see it at the top.  I am however surprised to see the 1970's so low on the list, as so many of the movies you typically see on a best of all time list are from the 1970's (The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, Rocky, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver).

Any comments from the gallery?  What do you think were the best years and decades ever for movies?

NOTE: The data I used was taken on 13 June 2011.




2 comments:

  1. An interesting experiment, to be sure.

    I think - since this is IMDb, you would almost EXPECT the movie decades to fall in order first to last, as the common movie watcher will feel that current movies are better than old movies.

    Seeing as you can pretty much exclude the 2010s - incomplete - the decades DO almost scroll back in reverse chronological order.

    With the exception of the 50s and 60s! which is surprising to me... kudos to a couple of great decades for movies.

    Thanks for your efforts here, I found this interesting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the second way I looked at the data (by average rating in a decade rather than total number of films) gave a better picture of the actual best decades.

    The breakdown I did by year was a little bit more interesting so take a look at that one if you get a chance and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete